Mineralogical Research and Consulting Kari Kojonen has been founded in June 2016 for mineralogical research and consulting in ore exploration and geometallurgy in the mining industry starting from the native ore to various ore concentrates and finally to the ore tailings.
The aim of the company is to offer cost effective mineralogical research and consulting service to the customers in the mining industry on the win/win principle.
We have a long experience starting in the 1973 in sulfide ore research with the famous Pechenga and Outokumpu sulfide ore deposits (M.Sc. thesis) using mineralogical research and applied process mineralogy. The PhD work was done 1975-1981 on two Archean Ni-Cu-PGE deposits in Suomussalmi greenstone belt, Eastern Finland. The mineralogical research for the thesis was done at the University of Heidelberg, BRD, and the University of Helsinki, Finland.
In 1985 the base metal ore exploration continued with the Geological Survey of Finland (GSF), in Kuopio, Central Finland Exploration group, with Ni-Cu prospects, massive Cu-Zn-Pb-Au sulfide ores and Au deposit exploration.
In 1987 the work continued in the Ore Mineralogical Research group of the GSF Exploration Department serving all exploration groups of the GSF in ore mineralogical research projects defining the valuable ore minerals, their intergrowth textures and their chemical compositions analysed with a scanning electron microscope (SEM) and EDS and with electron probe micro analyser (EPMA) with WDS analyses. Most of the studies were focused in various kinds of gold deposits including the large Kittilä Suurikuusikko refractory gold deposit and the Pampalo gold-telluride deposit in Ilomantsi.
In 1996 the work continued with Ore Deposit Modellingof the Kevitsa Ni-Cu-PGE-Au deposit with geochemical analyses and ore mineralogical research of the drill core samples . The ore deposit 3D-modelling and reserve estimates are based on the geochemical analyses of the drill core analyses and their mineralogical ore mineral compositions. This led to the opening of the Kevitsa mine, Sodankylä.
In 2003 a ne project was started in the Lapland gold and PGE-minerals which were discovered in the heavy mineral fractions of placers. The results pointed out to a PGE-bearing layered mafic-ultramafic rocks gold bearing quartz veins in the Lemmenjoki-Ivalonjoki area.
In 2013 the Ni-Cu depost exploration continued in the Southern Finland with diamond core drilling at the Särkisuo Ni-Cu sulfide deposit in the Tammela commun near the city of Forssa. The drillings totalling 1954 m revealed a subeconomic Ni-Cu deposit down to 260 m depth. The drillings were unfortunately stopped in 2015 although the petrological and mineralogical indications ( depletion of Ni in the olivine microprobe analyses), pointed to a deeper seated massive Ni-Cu sulfide deposit.
we are specialized in :
- Noble metal (Au, Ag, PGE) deposits mineralogical research to define their mineralogy, grain size distribution and intergrowth patterns including invisible gold and PGE in the sulfides and arsenides, and gold grains liberation,
- Heavy Au-PGE mineral studies in placers,
- The (Cr, Ti, V, W, Fe) oxide or deposits and their intergrowth textures to define an optimal mineral processing method for them,
- Ni-Cu sulfide ore minerals and associated PGE-minerals in mafic-ultramafic intrusions,
- Cu-Zn-Ni-Co-Sn-Au massive sulfide ore deposits in the Outokumpu district
- Cu-Pb-Zn-Ag-Au type polymetallic sulfide deposits , their ore mineral compositions and mineral textures in the southern and central Finland,
- Characterizing new ore mineral phases discovered during exploration and mining of ore deposits.